On November the 5th, the English celebrate Guy Fawkes Night. It celebrates a failed attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament (that’s where Big Ben is) in London.
Bonfire Night is perhaps the biggest outdoor celebration in Britain. Every town and village puts on a fireworks display. There is usually a large bonfire in the middle of the town. People gather at it to watch the fireworks and eat traditional Guy Fawkes Night food. Baked potatoes and toffee apples are the most popular treats.
- What exactly was the Gunpowder Plot?
- Who was involved in the Plot?
- How was the Plot discovered?
- What happened to Guy Fawkes and the other conspirators?
- How is the Gunpowder Plot remembered?
- Are the Houses of Parliament still searched before State Opening?
- Does the cellar where Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament still exist?